A key element in reducing product costs is the absolute need to drive down the cost of final test. While the silicon designers and the fabs have managed to reduce the costs of design and fabrication via the use of standards, the final test operation has not. Today, packaging and final test can easily account for more than 50% of a product’s total cost and that number is rising rapidly.
Of all of the methods available to reduce the cost of test and reduce cycle times, strip test offers the most benefits, as this is the key enabling technology that allows a whole new manufacturing and test strategy to be implemented. Strip test processing allows manufacturers to redesign and simplify their manufacturing process, improve capital utilization, increase throughput and dramatically lower their overall cost of test.
Since its ideation in 1999, strip test has developed into a reliable, viable solution to reduce the cost of IC testing. Today, with billions of parts tested using strip handlers, the benefits are now well known.
Strip Testing offers Significant Benefits to Final Test Operations
- Tester utilization increases due to lower jam rates and higher first pass yields.
- Jam rates are dramatically decreased because strip handlers handle the full strip, not the individual devices.
- First pass yields increase due to much better contacting.
- Parallelism or multi-site testing is a function of the tester resources that are available and not a function of the test handler.
- Changeover kits enable many different types of packages to be run on a single strip handler. Kits are designed for quick changeover and have no subjective adjustments.
Strip testing is our sole focus. Today, we market our SH-5000 & SH-5300, our 4th and 5th generation tri-temp strip test handlers; FH-1200, our 3rd generation film frame handler; and MH-3000 & MH-3300, our 3rd and 4th generation laser markers specifically designed for strip test applications.